Swift-boated
Carol Marin has a different take than I did in today's Capitol Fax about Personal PAC and Planned Parenthood's Judy Baar Topinka press conference yesterday. Although it's pretty darned good.
...Planned Parenthood of Chicago and Personal PAC told reporters they had serious questions about whether Topinka is, in fact, pro-choice.
That question will no doubt surprise some people who thought that matter was already settled. After all, Topinka has for years been described in political circles and in the media as a Republican "moderate" who supports the Supreme Court's Roe vs. Wade decision establishing a woman's right to choose. And in fact, she is. And does. But with notable exceptions. Topinka supports parental consent, opposes the so-called partial birth abortion and has voted for legislation that allows for spousal notification. [...]
Though he wasn't in the room, Gov. Blagojevich was a presence at Tuesday's news conference. [...]
...his dismal poll numbers mean that Blagojevich is going to have to do much more than tout his accomplishments. That clearly hasn't been enough so far for citizens in general or women in particular. And now that a woman has entered the 2006 governor's race, Blagojevich has to draw a clear distinction between himself and Topinka, who is the clear front-runner in a field of five Republicans. And one of the ways to do that is abortion.
Also, thanks to Carol for the mention in her column today.

44 Comments...
WARNING: Personally insulting and otherwise inappropriate comments (including all profanity) will be immediately deleted! Threads will be closed after 3 deletions. Try to behave like reasonable adults.Click here to notify the "Comment Posse" about objectionable posts.
Parental notification & partial birth abortion are areas where the larger public has it right.
That is, they support notification, oppose PB. *^^*
Much as I'd LIKE to think JBT is converting, I think this is "stealth campaigning".
I think they know JBT is ok, and they are giving her cover for the primary.
Or maybe I am up too early and see comspiracy theories everywhere.....
Abortion, abortion, abortion.
Is that ALL that women really care about? Not among ANY of the women voters I know.
Aren't women tired of being a one issue constituency? The women voters I know think they are being shortchanged and thought of as being too stupid too think about the thousands of other issues.
Can a governor have any influence over the issue of abortion? None of the women voters I know think a governor of any state can.
Isn't it about time women voters asked for more respect from politicians and the media? I'm a woman voter and I'm sick and tired being trhought of as only caring about abortion. I have many more issues of concern that affect my daily life.
Sorry I'm a baby boomer female and there is more things on my mind than abortion I think the anti and pro abortion people have kept this up front to long.Thier pr machine,miilions and a press that needs stories need to change gears and let some real problems be discussed.We have much bigger problems in this state that need our undivided attention to solve.
AMEN !!!
Agree with 6:16.
But we have to keep the issue abortion. If this issue ever gets expanded to "personal freedoms" then the goverment is going to get REALLY worried.
Can you imagine all the effort going in to this "abortion" issue instead going into support more general "personal freedoms"? Good god, if women fought for that issue, we'd all be set. If they changed this issue from "pro" vs "anti" to "government" vs "freedoms" that would change the whole landscape of the battlefield.
The powers that be want us bickering over abortion, so they won't notice they are robbing us blind.
Thinking about this, two thigns come to mind:
1) Rod is right, he's so far to port on this issue he IS different from JBT.
2) It will be interesting to see how and if this plays. I personally think more women are prolife than people think. This might backfire. If so, it would alter to some extend the political landscape.
I'm not convinced that abortion for most mainstream women (that is, those not far left or far right) is a major issue. There are many ways of controlling one's fertility these days and I think many young and early middle aged women--somen in their childbearing years--see the issue not only as irrelevant to them but as the preserve of elderly leftists who are fighting the last war and wacky far right conservatives living out West somewhere.
At out meeting in Ogle County, Judy told us that she was against abortion. I believe her.
We must protect a baby's life at all cost.
I think a Governor's stance on abortion is very important in this election as we dont know if the Supreme Court will overturm Roe v Wade. It could come down to the states to dictate if abortion is legal or illegal.
However, I think the point is, no one knows where Baar-Topinka stands on this issue.
I am not sure who I am voting for yet, but I would at least like to be informed. I have been relatively happy with Blagojevichs support of family healthcare and womens health care issues.
I look at issues, not a candidates gender.
I am glad someone is finally calling JBT out. She has been playing this game for years!
She will tell one group down south that she is pro-gun, pro-life, and anti-homosexual.
Then, when she gets to the city, she flip-flops into a different person who supports abortion, gun restriction, and homosexuals.
Which are you Judy? We dont like being lied to. Right now you are more like a dolphin than a candidate - Flipper.
Now that she is officially announcing, her real positions should come out. I WILL NOT vote for a republican who waffles on the issue of life. Life begins at conception and that is final. A candidate who cannot promise that she will protect the life of a child at all costs will never get my vote. I'm not alone here. Alan Keyes won 27% of the vote and won 10 counties against the most popular Senator in the U.S. Senate.
Judy's answer to this question can sink her here. She cannot say one thing in southern Illnois, and another in Chicago. If she states anything othere than her full support for the life of the child, she will lose her primary.
I think it would be best for JBT to get some flak from pro-abortion groups. When you have a bunch of freaks like them saying that she is not really one of them, it just makes her look even better.
Right now, she can handle the criticism, especially when you consider what we currently have as governor. Blagojevich is not a man of his word, so accusations of flip-flopping coming from him will sound especially foolish.
These "crazy" pro choice groups are also themoder ate voters that you republicans are relying on to win the general. You guys better get your s*** together and figure out what you're talking about.
A) there is no such medical term as "partial birth abortion." The true believers know this is 95% politics, and 5% actual abortion debate.
B) Don't DARE compare this to the contemptable lies and innuendo spun by the swift boaters.
No comparison.
anon9:23
"Blagojevich is not a man of his word, so accusations of flip-flopping coming from him will sound especially foolish."
Increase education funding more than any Gov in history-PROMISE KEPT
Make health care available for all children in Illinois-PROMISE KEPT
Reform state pensions- PROMISE KEPT
Cut state bureaucracy- PROMISE KEPT
Resist cutting funds for the less fortunate- PROMISE KEPT
Protect a woman's right to choose-PROMISE KEPT
Support stem cell research in Il- PROMISE KEPT
End business as usual and Edgar/Ryan type corruption-PROMISE KEPT
Resist attempts to raise sales and income tax- PROMISE KEPT.
The list goes on and on. The Governor is definitely a man of his word. He has done a fine job but there is much left to do in his second term. It is an obvious choice move forward with Rod or go back to the Ryan era with Judy, KJ, Cellini, Daniels, Kustra, Edgar,etc...
Well Bill, of the 9 things you list Rod really did he for sure did 4 of them.
Two are "maybe sort of" he did.
Three he surely did not do.
By political campaign standards, that's not too bad.
Bill, Blago is a snake. Period. He has not kept his word on much, and just because he has not increased income tax does not mean that he has not increased OVERALL tax. And who says our schools are better? They keep performing WORSE and Blago keeps trying to cut higher education so that he can give money to preschools and grade schools in order to win votes from soccer moms.
But the issue-at-hand here is interesting. Politics in this country have gotten ridiculous and the money spent by Progress for America and People for the American Way is disgusting. The pro-choicers and the pro-lifers are going to clash no matter what and because of it we are going to have an ultra-expensive, dirty and "unfun" campaign season. With Edgar deciding not to run, JBT is our best candidate but some groups would rather her go down in flames so they can claim "victory" while looking like idiots. ARGH!!!
Our best candidtate is a woman who loves gay people, will allow the murder of babies, will take our guns away, and is under federal investigation? If this is true, we are in trouble.
Team Sleep, you are an idiot. You will wrap your arms around the anchor that is JBT as she ruins our chances of winning back the mansion. We need to get behind a conservative without skelatons in his closet like the Treasurer has. People like you make me sick.
Sorry to continue the thread off topic, but I have to respond to this.
Bill, let’s look at the other side of the Promises Kept storyline. The Governor has only kept his promises when, and to the extent that, they serve him politically (I know that sounds redundant, but bear with me here….)
Increase education funding more than any Gov in history - sure he increased it, but that isn’t saying much. Schools are still starved for cash, and he has yet to propose a real solution. He threw a few extra bucks at schools than the last guy….just so that he could say he did in the campaign…..but no substantial improvements have been made.
Make health care available for all children in Illinois – And it only took him 3 years to do what he could have done the moment Emil was sworn in as Senate President! I’m sure that the timing has nothing to do with his re-election kick-off. He waited to propose his “most important” initiative until it would make the most political impact, and he didn’t even fully develop it before ramming it though in the veto session – brilliant bit of “governing” indeed.
Reform state pensions – I don’t even know where to start with that one. After what he and the Speaker did in the last budget, you should be ashamed for even trying to bring that up as an accomplishment.
Cut state bureaucracy- Only where it suited him. He only pushed for cost saving measures on Medicaid when he had something else he wanted to spend that money on. He only consolidated state agencies in a way that served HIM and his campaign best (ie, the Office of Communication and Information) .
Resist cutting funds for the less fortunate - PROMISE KEPT – okay, I’ll give you that one, but much of those funds could have been cut in a way to fulfill the previous promise (although cutting state bureaucracy by reducing money for those programs would have been bad PR, once again proving my point)
Protect a woman's right to choose-PROMISE KEPT – Sure, but from what? All the pro-life bills that made it through the legislature during his term? It’s not like he vetoed anything in order to do it. He essentially kept this promise by not having to do anything – big deal.
Support stem cell research in Il- PROMISE KEPT – okay, I’ll give you that one.
End business as usual and Edgar/Ryan type corruption - PROMISE KEPT – You need to sit in the corner for a while for saying that. But, by all means, I hope that the Governor’s campaign people are stupid enough to mention what a great job he did at cleaning up corruption, I’ll give everyone in the state a much needed good laugh.
Resist attempts to raise sales and income tax- PROMISE KEPT – good thing he never promised to not raise business fees.
"right of right" has it right.
YOU are in trouble - because a fiscally conservative, socially progressive candidate will win 9 times out of 10 in any US election - local or otherwise. But the primary process - especially the GOP primary process in Illinois - is very effectively weeding out all these folks.
The Dems have at least been able to get people thru the door - like Blago - who *claim* to be fiscally conservative and socially progressive. [Has Blago lived up to that image..? An issue for another debate...]
As long as the Illinois GOP primary voters insist on a "nanny state" litmus test, and refuses to support any candidate who does NOT favor attempts to legislate morality and personal behavior, the best GOP candidates will continue to fall by the wayside.
Glad people are proud of the Alan Keyes 27% number ... expect more GOP numbers under 30% if this continues.
I won't vote for Blago again. I'd probably vote for JBT if she makes it past the primary. I ain't holding my breath...
With all due repsect to Topinka the issue should not be her position on abortion, it should be how she will accomodate the diverse views of her party on this issue. Remember she will be Governor and have the power to sign or veto legislation. If Roe is overturned then all state politicians will be required to confront this issue. (That is one of the reasons why secretly most Republicans hope the Supreme Court keeps Roe).
If Judy is in fact pro-choice then she must answer what she will do with legilsation that is contrary to her philosophy.
She just finished her announcement with "Simply the Best" the same song Dawn Clark Netsch played at her concession speech in 1994. How ver interesting.
This is a problem that Topinka will face not only on this issue but many other issues in the primary and general election, if she makes it through the primary which I don't think she will.
The GOP base is pro-life, pro-gun and against gay rights. Topinka is pro-choice, anti-gun, and for gay rights, but not enough to get the trust of the pro-choice, anti-gun, and gay rights groups.
On any given day you could have a pro-choice group holding a news conference saying that she is not pro-choice and another group holding a new conference saying she is not pro-life. This senario could play out on each of the above mentioned issues. It is also important to remeber that these are issues that are very important to the GOP base.
A side note. Pictures of Topinka particapating in Gay Rights parades are circulating in GOP circles in Southern Illinois.
The Illinois GOP primary will be fun to watch.
End business as usual and Edgar/Ryan type corruption-PROMISE KEPT
are you kidding me? pass the pipe, Mr.
I have a real problem with a woman from either party who is inconsistent with her votes or words regarding abortion. JBT et al - whose piece of property are you? If all supposed "women leaders" flip flop around on this issue, women may as well become a piece of property as they would be if RoevWade is overturned. This is the queen of slippery slopes, yet I do agree with others about the importance of other issues. Day-to-day this woman voter is much more concerned about poverty, healthcare, and people being able to raise a family without working three part-time jobs etc
Part of the problem for Topinka is that her main argument in favor of her candidacy is electability.
Unfortunately, Rod's poll numbers are so low, folks believe anybody can beat Rod.
I still predict Oberweis or Brady will win the Primary.
Blagojevich has got so many people (both Dems & GOP) upset with him that the simple fact is that any of the GOP gubernatorial candidates can knock him off of his perch.
The key issue would seem to be which amongst the GOP contenders can the voters rely on to simply state the truth as to where they stand on the issues. Judy is trying to be all things to all people. One day she is riding in a gay parade and endorsing the gay lifestyle, the next day she is trying to convince the GOP religious right that she is one of them. I think she is a great Treasurer and that is where she should be. Oberweis is a puppet for Jack Roeser and his ultra conservative group the Family Taxpayers Network. Brady is a good guy but lacks the necessary experience and clarity on the issues facing the state of Illinois. I believe Rauschenberger is the best qualified to lead us out of the mess that George Ryan and Blagojevich have put us in. Rauschenberger is not a song & dance man for the media so he is just not as colorful as Judy is with the press. Give me "Steady Eddie" Rauschenberger and we can fix what has been left broken.
I'm not sure that the conservatives have 27%, just becasue Alan Keyes got that vote in a statewide. I voted for Keyes in '04 out of party loyalty, not "conservative ideals." I'm sure I had some company.
I'm voting Topinka '06.
Let's be honest -- the extreme sides of this issue have the tendency to be "freaks."
That said, I'm glad Personal Pac is standing up and pointing to JBT's wishy-washy voting history.
As a woman, I would take offense if someone assumed this was the ONLY issue I cared about. And that's why these groups are scary to me.
However, this is a critical time for this issue, and if the supreme court is stacked with anti-choicers, pro-choicers need to make sure our Governor's stance is solid. Polls have shown that Illinois is not only a blue state, but is also definitely pro-choice.
I'm no huge fan of GRod, but after this Judy revelation, me thinks I will stick with the devil I know.
Let's hope everyone doesn't follow the same fate as Anon 1:38 and become a blind follower of something they read in the paper...hopefully the voters can think for themselves...hopefully.
Wow 10:14, you are officially the WORST poster on this thread. Shouldn't your comments have been retracted by the comment posse? Come on! I am a conservative Republican but I want to win. It seems like the right-wing PACs in Illinois are more concerned about getting their points across and receiving attention rather than actually winning. I'll vote for Judy unless a much better candidate comes along.
Team Sleep, you would sell your soul for a victory, huh? You would rally behind an old guard hack like Judy in hopes of winning instead of taking a chance and supporting a real republican we can all actually be proud of. You, my friend, are a sellout and you are why the combine continues to exist.
Find some conviction and do whats right for our party.
Below is a bit from the Sun Times Report on Judy's announcement. Expect this times 100 over the next 4 months.
She belongs to the party's establishment at a time when some Republicans are calling for a thorough house-cleaning. Her candidacy is backed, for instance, by Bob Kjellander, a member of the Republican National Committee whose lobbying firm made $800,000 by helping a bond company land a deal with the Blagojevich administration.
Topinka also pushed unsuccessfully to let two hotel companies with political connections settle $43 million in debt to the state for just $10 million.
I'm having trouble regarding the Republican right as "moralistic" after reading about Dan Proft's smear on Topinka right out of the box. Rauchenberger, if he is the "decent" man you all say, should apolgize and can Proft now. He will in the end, anyway.
Oh boy does Topinka have some work to do.
The flood gates are beginning to open and she will have to answer some tough questions on where she stands on the issues, a federal investigation about her emplpoyees campaigning on state time, insider deals (hotel), and why she let stood silent while the Republicans ran us into a 5 billion dollar deficit.
Wow 10:14 you are right on. That is the best post I have ever seen on this blog.
This is gonna be a great GOP primary. Keep up the good work.
When is someone going to ask Topinka about her best friend and closest political ally, George Ryan. What did she know and when did she know it? How much money did Topinka get from the Ryan indited campaign fund? Was she on the Fawell list of political favors?
JBT was asked today about her relationship with George Ryan and the other indiders.
She tried to deny it but then stumbled about why she it taking most her money from them. Even scandal plagued Karl Rove. She was squirmming bad! Great TV!
Expect much more of this... This is only the first day!
I think you will see her campaign aide Jim Soering addessing all of these issues in the upcomming months....
Hey Bill, you forgot a few.
I will reopen the Sheridan Correctional Center—Promise kept.
I will reopen the Greene County Work Camp—Promise kept.
I will not support the privatization of prison commissaries and dietary departments—Promise kept.
Judy was pretty vocal when the Governor explored the idea of closing the Vandalia Correctional Center. I even saw her and Frank Watson wearing Save Vandalia Prison shirts at the State Capitol.
Where was Judy when I received my memorandum informing me that I had to accept a lay-off or transfer to another prison. I don’t remember seeing her wearing a Save Greene County IIP shirt at the Capitol.
I just watched Channel 7 ABC Chicago on Topinka'a announcement. They had a long clip of her dancing with her best friend and closest political ally George Ryan.
The red head apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
This is gonna be a great GOP primary.
JBT is right in the middle of the road on the abortion issue, which is where 80% of the voter are as well. The 10% fringe on either side won't like her, but there aren't many candidates that they like.
As for the R primary, I have yet to see a far right conservative win a competitive race at any level in Illinois. JBT is no Kustra. She won't rest on her laurels. She will campaign, run her own race, and won't depend on the nonexistant "party" to carry her.
Oberweis will self destruct. Rauschenberg has Proft, the kiss of death. Gidwitz lacks charisma. Brady may have charisma, but lacks the money statewide network. JBT will be just fine.
Over the years, I attended many Republican political events, and non-partisan political events in the southern 2/3s of the state. At all those Lincoln Day dinners, Republican picnics, candidate nights, fundraisers, etc. I heard exactly one person ask exactly one candidate or speaker about their position on abortion.
My experience is that this is a really big issue to only a small minority of Republican voters. Most seem to care far more about education, affordability of college,costs of healthcare, etc. and other issues that actually affect their day-to- day lives.
Post a Comment
<< Home